- Body Type: Coupe
- 55,762 Miles
- Year Built: 1949
- Fuel Type: Gas
- Ext color: Blue
Founded in 1852, the Studebaker Corporation got into the car making business in 1902 when it began to make electrically powered vehicles. In the late 1930’s, noted stylist Raymond Loewy went to work for the company and designed their sleek line of post-war cars. But like the other so-called “independents”, the company could not compete with the Big Three; Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler. In 1954, Studebaker merged with another one of the few remaining independent companies, Packard. The merger didn’t work and the Studebaker-Packard Corporation went out of business in the mid 1960s.
Unlike other pillared two-door sedans that used two side windows separated from the rear window by roof supports, Studebaker created a roof rounded at the rear with a wraparound window system that provided a panoramic effect similar to a railroad observation car. The curved window was achieved with four fixed panels of glass. The roof was supported by two wide pillars (sometimes called “B” pillars) immediately behind the doors and in front of the wraparound back window. The body style was originally named “5-passenger coupe”; however, for the 1949 model year it was renamed Starlight Coupe.
This car is powered by a 226 ci engine with a 3 speed manual transmission.